Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps made to fit on top of damaged natural teeth. Unlike your regular fillings, crowns have more substantial materials that can last a lifetime.
At Coast Family Dental, we use them to restore your bite, improve your smile, and protect your teeth from further damage.
Do You Need a Crown for Your Tooth?
- Protecting a cracked or broken tooth caused by physical trauma
- Strengthening a weakened tooth caused by infection and decay
- Covering an implant or holding a bridge in place (to replace missing teeth)
- Replacing a large filling
- Aligning your bite
- Creating an aesthetically pleasing smile
How Do You Get a Crown?
- Tooth preparation. The dentist will prepare your tooth, removing any decay and infection to prevent further complications.
- Crown moulding. They will take a mould to match the size and shape of your tooth perfectly.
- Temporary restoration. The dentist will place a temporary cap to protect your damaged tooth until the permanent crown is ready. You need to take extra care of your tooth and avoid eating sticky or hard foods at this stage.
- Crown placement. After a few days, they replace the temporary cap with your custom-fit crown to restore your bite and smile.
Crowns are relatively permanent, and they don’t require any special maintenance. As long as you practice good oral hygiene, they can become a permanent fixture for your teeth.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Dentists Today
If you have broken, infected, or missing teeth, our friendly experts at Coast Family Dental are here to help. Call us at (07) 5437 9000 to discuss your options!