The word orthodontics is often synonymous with helping our children achieve an aesthetically pleasing perfectly straight smile. Interceptive orthodontics, by contrast, is first and foremost focused on maintaining or unblocking airways and airway health.
A number of developmental imperfections as children grow into adolescence can contribute to blocked airways that inhibit healthy breathing patterns, disrupt sleep and can lead to other issues.
Early intervention and treatment can offer a permanent and long term solution, reducing the likelihood of sleep apnoea and improving the overall quality of life for your child.
Airway Health in Kids
By the time our children reach the age of twelve, their jaw and facial profile start to permanently become fixed. By the time they reach adolescence any abnormalities such as under or overbites, crowding and more are set in place. Some of these issues can have a real and concerning impact on airway health in kids, decreasing the volume of the upper airway and reducing the ability to breathe efficiently and effortlessly. Interceptive orthodontics aims to “intercept” these issues before they become permanent, moulding the jaw before it is fully developed and in place.
Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment
Early Intervention Allows the Orthodontist to:
- Identify and diagnose early-stage jaw and bite misalignment
- Track and monitor jaw and dental development
- Expertly guide and/or correct teeth or jaw imperfections
- Create additional space for crowded teeth
- Prevent sleep apnoea and breathing difficulties due to airway obstruction
- Develop the jaw forward or side to side to improve airway health and reduce compression of the tongue and floor of the mouth on the airway
Treatment Methods May Involve:
- Fixed or removable functional dental appliances
- Functional growth guidance appliances
Reach Out to Our Family-Friendly Practice Today
At Coast Family Dental our team of highly trained and experienced dental professionals look forward to helping you and your children have healthy happy smiles for decades to come. We offer a personal approach and individualized treatments custom-tailored to help you achieve the best possible outcomes. Our team is friendly and always ready to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have. We’ll make sure you and your child are comfortable, relaxed and well-cared for at every step of the process.
Call our office to set up an appointment today and find out why so many parents trust Coast Family Dental to keep their children smiling bright.